Following the announcement of the 2018 BBC Proms season, we’re delighted that so many wonderful MRM Artists feature in fantastic programmes across the festival: Prom 5 on 17 July: Karen...MORE
“Better still were the virtuoso Mozart arias delivered with incandescent verve by the soprano Sally Matthews...”
Sally Matthews was the winner of the 1999 Kathleen Ferrier Award. She studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, after which she became a member of the Royal Opera, Covent Garden Young Artists Programme from 2001 – 2003 and was part of the BBC New Generation Artists.
- Fiordiligi Così fan tutte; Blanche Les Dialogues des Carmélites; Title role Janacek Jenufa – Bayerische Staatsoper
- Blanche Les Dialogues des Carmélites; Anne Trulove The Rake’s Progress; Fiordiligi – Royal Opera, Covent Garden
- Strauss Daphne; Countess Strauss Capriccio; Janacek Jenufa – La Monnaie, Brussels
- Berg Seven Early Songs – Robin Ticciati; Schumann Paradies und die Peri – Sir Simon Rattle – Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
- Strauss Vier letzte Lieder – Sir Colin Davis; Messiaen Poèmes pour Mi – Daniel Harding; Mahler Symphonies No 2 & 4 – Michael Tilson-Thomas – London Symphony Orchestra
- Konstanze Die Entführung aus dem Serail; Fiordiligi; Countess – Glyndebourne Festival Opera
In 2001 she made her Royal Opera debut as Nannetta Falstaff with Bernard Haitink and roles at Covent Garden since then have included Fiordiligi Così fan tutte; Sifare Mitridate; Anne Truelove The Rake’s Progress and Blanche in Poulenc Les Dialogues des Carmélites.
Opera engagements this season and beyond include her role debuts as Elisabeth Don Carlos (Lyon Opera); Ellen Orford Peter Grimes (Opera Queensland); Rusalka (Glyndebourne Festival Opera); Marschallin Der Rosenkavalier, as well as a return to the Royal Opera, Covent Garden.
Sally has appeared regularly throughout her career at La Monnaie, Brussels, Dutch National Opera, Theater an der Wien and Glyndebourne Festival Opera in roles including Jenufa, Daphne, Anne Truelove, Madeleine Capriccio, Fiordiligi, Donna Anna, Konstanze and Countess. She made her Salzburg Festival debut in 2016 singing Silvia in the world première of Ades The Exterminating Angel, a role repeated in her debut at the Metropolitan Opera and at the Royal Opera, Covent Garden.
Sally sings regularly with orchestras including the Philharmonia, London Symphony, Rotterdam Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic and Bavarian Radio Symphony with conductors Antonio Pappano, Bernard Haitink, Sir Simon Rattle, Daniel Harding, Robin Ticciati and François-Xavier Roth. Her repertoire includes Mahler Symphonies No.2, 4 and 8, Strauss Vier letzte Lieder, Schumann Paradies und die Peri, Brahms Requiem, Haydn Creation and The Seasons, Messiaen Poèmes pour Mi, Mendelssohn Lobgesang and Berg Seven Early Songs. A regular at the BBC Proms, Sally gave the European premiere of Turnage Hibiki in 2017 with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Kazushi Ono. In the 2018 BBC Proms she will perform works by Britten and Barber with the BBC Philharmonic under Juanjo Mena.
Sally has given recitals regularly with pianist Simon Lepper at La Monnaie, Brussels, the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam and Wigmore Hall.