Sally Matthews returns to Munich in November to reprise her highly successful Jenůfa at the Bayerische Staatsoper, alongside Karita Mattila as Kostelnička. Other highlights this season include the title role...MORE
“Better still were the virtuoso Mozart arias delivered with incandescent verve by the soprano Sally Matthews...”
Sally Matthews was the winner of the 1999 Kathleen Ferrier Award. She studied at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, after which she became a member of the Royal Opera, Covent Garden Young Artists Programme.
- Title role Janacek Jenufa; Blanche Les Dialogues des Carmélites; Fiordiligi Così fan tutte – Bayerische Staatsoper
- Countess Le Nozze di Figaro; Silvia Ades The Exterminating Angel; Anne Trulove The Rake’s Progress; Blanche Les Dialogues des Carmélites – Royal Opera, Covent Garden
- Marschallin Der Rosenkavalier; Title role Jenufa; Countess Capriccio; Title role Daphne – La Monnaie, Brussels
- Berg Seven Early Songs – Robin Ticciati; Schumann Paradies und die Peri – Sir Simon Rattle – Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
- Strauss Vier letzte Lieder – Sir Colin Davis; Messiaen Poèmes pour Mi – Daniel Harding; Mahler Symphonies No 2 & 4 – Michael Tilson-Thomas – London Symphony Orchestra
- Konstanze Die Entführung aus dem Serail; Fiordiligi; Countess – Glyndebourne Festival Opera
Opera engagements this season and beyond include Ellen Orford Peter Grimes for Opera Queensland; Jenufa for Bayerischer Staatsoper; Rusalka for Glyndebourne Festival Opera; Marschallin Der Rosenkavalier and Governess Turn of the Screw for La Monnaie and a return to the Royal Opera, Covent Garden to sing Countess Le Nozze di Figaro.
Forthcoming concert highlights include Bruckner Mass in f minor and Beethoven Symphony no.9 with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and Mariss Jansons and Bernard Haitink respectively, and a concert performance of Rusalka with the DSO Berlin and Robin Ticciati.
Sally has appeared regularly throughout her career at La Monnaie, Brussels, Dutch National Opera, Theater an der Wien and Glyndebourne Festival Opera in roles including Jenufa, Daphne, Anne Truelove, Madeleine Capriccio, Fiordiligi, Donna Anna, Konstanze and Countess. She made her Salzburg Festival debut in 2016 singing Silvia in the world première of Ades The Exterminating Angel, a role repeated in her debut at the Metropolitan Opera and at the Royal Opera, Covent Garden where other roles have included Fiordiligi Cosi fan tutte; Sifare Mitridate; Anne Truelove The Rake’s Progress and Blanche Les Dialogues des Carmelites.
Sally sings regularly with orchestras including the Philharmonia, London Symphony, Rotterdam Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic and Bavarian Radio Symphony with conductors Antonio Pappano, Bernard Haitink, Sir Simon Rattle, Daniel Harding, Robin Ticciati and Mariss Jansons. Her repertoire includes Mahler Symphonies No.2, 4 and 8, Strauss Vier letzte Lieder, Schumann Paradies und die Peri, Brahms Requiem, Messiaen Poèmes pour Mi, Mendelssohn Lobgesang and Berg Seven Early Songs. A regular at the BBC Proms, Sally gave the European premiere of Turnage Hibiki in 2017 with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Kazushi Ono and performed works by Britten and Barber with the BBC Philharmonic under Juanjo Mena in 2018.
Sally gives recitals regularly with pianist Simon Lepper and future engagements include La Monnaie, Brussels, Wigmore Hall and the Carnegie Hall.