Karen Cargill returns to the DSO Berlin conducted by Robin Ticciati in November to sing a favourite role, Marguerite in Berlioz Damnation of Faust. Other season highlights include Elgar Sea...MORE
At the 2019 BBC Proms Markus Stenz conducts BBC NOW in Strauss, Brostroem & Brahms, Sunnyboy Dladla sings Mozart Requiem with BBC NOW with Natalie Stutzman, Hilary Summers sings Beethoven Symphony...MORE
Karen Cargill returns to the Metropolitan Opera in April and May. Showcasing her versatility, she sings Mère Marie in Poulenc’s Dialogues des Carmélites, and Erda in Wagner’s Das Rheingold and...MORE
BBC Symphony Orchestra & Donald Runnicles. BBC Proms 2015. By kind permission of BBC Radio 3
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra & Donald Runnicles. EIF 2016. By kind permission of BBC Radio 3
“The real jewel, though, was Cargill, whose luxuriant tone, natural French and rapt intensity made her lovelorn Marguerite a spellbinding creation …”
Scottish mezzo-soprano Karen Cargill studied at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and was the winner of the 2002 Kathleen Ferrier Award.
- Waltraute Götterdämmerung – Metropolitan Opera; ROH Covent Garden; Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra; Deutsche Oper, Berlin
- Berlioz La Damnation de Faust – London Symphony Orchestra – Sir Simon Rattle & Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra – Robin Ticciati
- Mahler Resurrection Symphony – Boston and Chicago Symphony Orchestras – James Levine; Concertgebouw Orchestra – Daniele Gatti; Philadelphia Orchestra – Yannick Nézet-Séguin
- Mahler Symphony No 3 – Tanglewood – Michael Tilson Thomas; Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra – Myung Whun Chung; Lanaudière Festival – Kent Nagano
- Verdi Requiem – London Symphony Orchestra – Sir Colin Davis; Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra – Yannick Nézet-Séguin; BBC Proms & Edinburgh International Festival
- Mahler Das Lied von der Erde – Orchestra of the Metropolitan Opera, New York – Esa-Pekka Salonen; Staatskapelle Dresden – Donald Runnicles
Current season highlights include La Damnation de Faust for DSO Berlin and Robin Ticciati; Elgar Sea Pictures with Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra and Thomas Sondergard and Bach B minor Mass for Phildelphia Orchestra and Yannick Nézet-Séguin. In opera, Karen appears as Judith Bluebeard’s Castle for Opera North and as Mère Marie Les Dialogues des Carmelites at the 2020 Glyndebourne Festival, returning to the Metroplitan Opera in 2021.
Karen regularly sings with the Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Chicago, Rotterdam and Berlin Philharmonic Orchestras, Dresden Staatskapelle, London Symphony and Philharmonic Orchestras, Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Danish Radio Sympohony Orchestra and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra working with conductors including Donald Runnicles, Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Bernard Haitink, Sir Simon Rattle, Daniele Gatti, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Daniel Harding, Robin Ticciati, Edward Gardner, Mariss Jansons and Mirga Gražinytė-tyla. Opera highlights have included appearances at the Royal Opera, Covent Garden; Metropolitan Opera, New York; Deutsche Oper Berlin; Montpellier Opera; Glyndebourne Festival and Edinburgh Festival, with roles including Waltraute Gotterdämmerung; Erda Das Rheingold and Siegfried; Brangaene Tristan and Isolde; Mère Marie Dialogues of the Carmelites and Judith Bluebeard’s Castle. Karen appears regularly at the BBC Proms and the Edinburgh International Festival.
Highlights with her regular recital partner Simon Lepper include appearances at Wigmore Hall London, the Concertgebouw Amsterdam, Kennedy Centre Washington and Carnegie Hall, as well as regular recitals for BBC Radio 3. With Simon she recently recorded a critically acclaimed recital of lieder by Alma and Gustav Mahler for Linn Records for whom she has also recorded Berlioz Les nuits d’été and La mort de Cléopâtre with Robin Ticciati and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.
In July 2018 Karen was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. She is also Patron of the National Girls’ Choir of Scotland.This biography should not be edited without permission from Maxine Robertson Management.
Mobile: +44 7904 698 231 (Outside office hours)
Hours: Monday-Friday 09:30 - 17:30
Hours: 09:30 to 15:00