“Maite Beaumont as Ruggiero with the inner radiance of her mezzo-soprano makes a convincing case that women, by reason of the warmth of their chest voice, can lay legitimate claim to Handel's castrato roles.”
Maite Beaumont was born in Pamplona where she studied voice and violin at the Pablo Sarastre Conservatoire and sociology at the University of Navarra. She completed her studies at the Hochschule für Musik und Theatre in Hamburg, studying with Hanna Schwarz. In 2000 she joined Hamburg State Opera’s Young Artist Programme where she jumped in as Ruggiero in their new production of Alcina in 2002, after which she joined the company as a member of their ensemble in 2003 until 2006.
Recent and future highlights include:
- Ruggiero – Handel Alcina – La Monnaie and De Nationale Opera Amsterdam – Christophe Rousset, Pierre Audi
- Melibea – Rossini Il Viaggio a Reims, Dorabella – Mozart Cosi fan tutte – Liceu Barcelona
- Cherubino – Mozart Le Nozze di Figaro – Staatsoper Hamburg, Teatro Municipal de Santiago de Chile and Théâtre Capitole de Toulouse
- Ottavia – Monteverdi L’incoronazione di Poppea – Ensemble Matheus & Jean-Christophe Spinosi
- Sesto – Mozart La Clemenza di Tito – Teatro Real, Madrid – Christophe Rousset
- Title role – Rossini La Cenerentola – Semperoper Dresden
Plans this season and beyond include Cherubino Le Nozze di Figaro and Siébel in Gounod Faust in Toulouse; Cherubino at Teatro Municipal de Santiago de Chile; Ruggiero Alcina on tour with Rousset and Les Talens Lyriques; Sesto at Teatro Real and Dorabella at the New National Theatre in Tokyo.
Recent opera highlights include Ruggiero Alcina at La Monnaie and De Nationale Opera Amsterdam (Rousset / Audi), Dorabella at Liceu Barcelona (Pons / Michieletto), La Cenerentola at Semperoper Dresden (Sagripanti / Piontek), Sesto in Giulio Cesare at Teatro Regio di Torino (De Marchi / Pelly), Meg Page in Falstaff in Amsterdam (Gatti / Carsen), Donna Elvira in Toulouse (Syrus / McVicar) and in concert with Harnoncourt at Theater an der Wien.
Maite has performed in many other of the world’s major opera houses and concert venues including Opéra National de Paris; Bayerische Staatsoper; Saatsoper under den Linden; Teatro della Scala; Lyric Opera Chicago and at the Salzburg Festival.