“Judit Kutasi was a very funny Dame Quickly. Her dark, rich mezzo and excellent timing made her the perfect foil for Terfel’s aging but still quick-witted knight. They both gave as good as they got.”
Judit Kutasi was born in Timisoara, Romania and is currently resident in Germany.
Future engagements will include Ulrica Un Ballo in Maschera and Maddalena Rigoleto revivals, Azucena Il Trovatore (Sagripanti), Cieca La Gioconda (Steinberg), Gertrude Hamlet, all at Deutsche Oper Berlin; Quickly Falstaff with Vasily Petrenko and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic; Federica Luisa Miller with Ivan Repušić and the Münchner Rundfunkorchester (concerts and CD recording); Waltraute in Die Walküre with Donal Runnicles at the Berlin Philharmonie; Preziosilla La Forza del Destino at Teatro Municipal de Santiago de Chile.
Recent and future highlights include:
- Ulrica in Verdi Un ballo in maschera; Maddalena Rigoletto; Fenena Nabucco; Azucena Il Trovatore; La Cieca – Ponchielli La Gioconda – Deutsche Oper, Berlin with conductors Donald Runnicles, Diego Matheuz, Giacomo Sagripanti & Pinchas Steinberg
- Quickly in Verdi Falstaff – Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks – Daniel Harding & Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra – Vasily Petrenko
- Maddalena in Verdi Rigoletto; Preziosilla La Forza del Destino – Teatro Municipal de Santiago de Chile
- Ulrica in Verdi Un ballo in maschera – Royal Swedish Opera Stockholm – Pier Giorgio Morandi
- Federica in Verdi Luisa Miller – Münchner Rundfunkorchester – Ivan Repušić
- Grimgerde in Wagner Die Walküre – Edinburgh Festival – Sir Andrew Davis
Recent appearances include returning to Teatro Massimo di Palermo to sing Erda in Graham Vick’s new production of Wagner Siegfried having previously sung Ulrica in Un ballo in maschera with Paolo Arrivabeni and the title role Carmen at Castle Munot Festival in Schaffhausen, Switzerland.
She has been a member of the Ensemble of Zurich Opera where productions have included Der fliegende Holländer, Pique Dame, Falstaff, Salome, La Fanciulla del West, Die Frau ohne Schatten, Julietta and Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg with conductors Alain Altinoglu, Nello Santi, Marco Armiliato and Fabio Luisi, among others, as well as with directors Robert Carsen, Barrie Kosky, Damiano Michieletto and Andreas Homoki.
She is a graduate of the University of Oradea and the Gheorghe Dima Academy of Music in Romania, and has taken part in master classes with Fabio Luisi, Brigitte Fassbaender, Ann Murray, Francisco Araiza and Christoph Loy.
Judit is the recipient of several awards including in 2012, 1st Prize in the 3rd International Music Competition Vox Artis (Singing), 3rd Prize at the International Festival and Voice Competition Hariclea Darclee both in Romania and 2nd Prize at the József Simándy International Singing Competition in Hungary.